IRS - How to:

YouTube: Online Payment Agreements

posted Apr 27, 2013, 6:16 PM by Wayne Culp   [ updated Jul 8, 2013, 1:16 PM ]

Do you have clients that need to set up Online Payment Agreements? Watch this new YouTube video for more information.

Watch this and other videos on the IRS YouTube Channel.

New annotated Publication 4012 online

posted Mar 4, 2013, 5:12 PM by Wayne Culp   [ updated Jul 8, 2013, 1:25 PM ]

See the latest annotated Pub 4012 revision date of Mar 4, 2013. (it is also the attached file directly below this post.

This version incorporates all the changes as per Pub 4491X released 2/7/13 with two exceptions:
  • The Form 8949 Col (f) adjustment codes on 2-13 & 14 are grouped by in-scope and out-of-scope for the Tax-Aide program.
  • The instructions on page G-6 regarding the retirement savings credit now refer to the Form 8880 instructions for Line 4.
The changed pages are noted on the front cover.

Sue Alza

IRS Refund Information Guidelines

posted Feb 21, 2013, 3:58 PM by Wayne Culp   [ updated Jul 8, 2013, 1:29 PM by Wayne Culp ]

Check out this IRS Site:  Where is My Refund
or watch this video:  Where is My Refund - Video

Where is My Refund

IRS e-file Refund Cycle Chart

Answer ID 492 | Document ID 38838 | Published 12/19/2011 09:22 PM | Updated 01/16/2013 12:04 PM

The IRS has stated that it will no longer issue a "Refund Cycle Chart" as in past years. Where's My Refund has been totally revamped for 2013 and will contain timely and accurate information on e-Filed 1040 returns which anticipate refunds.

The 2013 version of IRS Publication 2043 can be downloaded and viewed from:

For further information, the What to Expect for Refunds page on the IRS Web site offers generic information on refund issuance:

Identity Protection Personal Identification Number

posted Feb 13, 2013, 8:22 AM by Wayne Culp   [ updated Jul 8, 2013, 1:30 PM ]

Identity Protection Personal Identification Number, or IP PIN, is a single-use identification number issued by the IRS to a taxpayer who has previously been the victim of identity theft. The IP PIN is used to protect the taxpayer by preventing their tax account from being used by anybody else. The IP PIN will be required to file your return to authenticate your identity.

Read page 7 of Pub 4012 (2012 version) for more information.  TaxWise Input is near the bottom of the Main Information Sheet.

IRS information: 

2012 Pub4012 TaxiAide Version rel 1/24/2013

posted Jan 24, 2013, 1:49 PM by Wayne Culp   [ updated Jul 8, 2013, 1:08 PM ]

Includes the following:

Revised pages as noted on the front cover. You may wish to print the revised pages for your paper version, if you use it.

Full linkage in the table of contents, starting on the front page with the links to the 2 tables of content. The index at the back is also linked to the pub content.
Many thanks to Lee Boszak (FL1) for the linkage in this file.

Bookmarks are also available for navigation.

Sue Alza

Note:  The attached Pub4012 incorporates the latest 8949 Code chart!
Also on page 2-14  wash sales are out of scope.

IRS Communication to Volunteers

posted Nov 21, 2012, 6:16 PM by Wayne Culp   [ updated Jul 8, 2013, 1:39 PM by Wayne Culp ]

Read the entire IRS letter to volunteers in the attachment:  IRS Communication 112112.pdf
Find discussion about:
  • 2013 filing season and the planned release 2012 tax forms, publications and documents
  • Change in scope for Schedule C (including limit of expense to $5,000)
  • Updates to the Form 13614-C Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet
  • Quality review, volunteer due diligence, and other changes
  • Plans to publish the 2012 version of Pub 4491-X, VITA/TCE Training Supplement and Pub 4012, Volunteer Resource Guide
Stay tuned for more updates on 2012 tax law changes

How to Get a Transcript or Copy of a Prior Year’s Tax Return from the IRS

posted Aug 15, 2012, 6:49 AM by Wayne Culp   [ updated Aug 15, 2012, 6:49 AM by Wayne Culp ]

Taxpayers should keep copies of their tax returns, but if they cannot be located or have been destroyed during natural disasters or by fire, the IRS can help. Whether you need your prior year’s tax return to apply for a loan or for legal reasons, you can obtain copies or transcripts from the IRS.

Here are 10 things to know if you need federal tax return information from a previously filed tax return.

1. Get copies of your federal tax return via the web, phone or by mail.

2. Transcripts are free and are available for the current and past three tax years.

3. A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes made after the return was filed.

4. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after you filed your tax return. This transcript shows basic data including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

5. To request either type of transcript online, go to and use the online tool called Order A Transcript. To order by phone, call 800-908-9946 and follow the prompts in the recorded message.

6. To request a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ tax return transcript through the mail, complete IRS Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. Businesses, partnerships and individuals who need transcript information from other forms or need a tax account transcript must use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

7. If you order online or by phone, you should receive your tax return transcript within five to 10 days from the time the IRS receives your request. Allow 30 calendar days for delivery of a tax account transcript if you order by mail.

8. If you need an actual copy of a previously filed and processed tax return, it will cost $57 for each tax year you order. Complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the IRS address listed on the form for your area.  Copies are generally available for the current year and past six years. Please allow 60 days for delivery. 

9. The fee for copies of tax returns may be waived if you are in an area that is declared a federal disaster by the President. Visit, keyword “disaster,” for more guidance on disaster relief.

10. Forms 4506, 4506-T and 4506T-EZ are available at or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).


YouTube Videos:

1-7 of 7